02/26/18 (I only have $30 to do this report)
02/26/18Case Analysis – Collaborating with Outside Providers Prior to beginning work on this assignment, read the PSY650 Week Three Treatment Plan and Case 9: Bulimia Nervosa in Gorenstein and Come
Case Analysis – Collaborating with Outside Providers
Prior to beginning work on this assignment, read the PSY650 Week Three Treatment Plan and Case 9: Bulimia Nervosa in Gorenstein and Comer (2014). Please also read the Waller, Gray, Hinrichsen, Mounford, Lawson, and Patient (2014) “Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy for Bulimia Nervosa and Atypical Bulimic Nervosa: Effectiveness in Clinical Settings,”Halmi (2013) “Perplexities of Treatment Resistance in Eating Disorders,” and DeJesse and Zelman (2013) “Promoting Optimal Collaboration Between Mental Health Providers and Nutritionists in the Treatment of Eating Disorders” articles.
Assess the evidence-based practices implemented in this case study. In your paper, please include the following.
- Explain the connection between each theoretical orientation used by Dr. Heston and the treatment intervention plans utilized in the case.
- Describe the cognitive-behavioral model of the maintenance of bulimia nervosa.
- Explain why Rita was reluctant to participate in Dr. Heston’s request for her to keep a record of her eating behaviors. Use information from the Halmi (2013) article “Perplexities of Treatment Resistance in Eating Disorders” to help support your statements.
- Recommend outside providers (psychiatrists, medical doctors, nutritionists, social workers, holistic practitioners, etc.) to the assist Rita in achieving her treatment goals. Use information from the DeJesse and Zelman (2013) “Promoting Optimal Collaboration between Mental Health Providers and Nutritionists in the Treatment of Eating Disorders” article to help support your recommendations.
- Describe some of the challenges and ethical issues that Dr. Heston may encounter when working collaboratively with the professionals that you recommended. Apply ethical principles and standards of psychology relevant to your description of Dr. Heston’s potential collaboration with outside providers.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the treatment interventions implemented by Dr. Heston, supporting your statements with information from the case and two to three peer-reviewed articles from the Ashford University Library.
- Recommend three additional treatment interventions that would be appropriate in this case. The recommended articles for this week may be useful in generating your response to this criterion. Justify your selections with information from the case.
The Case Analysis – Collaborating with Outside Providers
- Must be 4 to 5 double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must use at least two peer-reviewed sources from in the Ashford University Library.
- Must document all sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
PSY650 Week Three Treatment Plan Behaviorally Defined Symptoms: Rita attempts to control her weight by fasting or consuming large quantities of food (e.g., multiple slices of pizza, gallons of ice cream) followed by purging (vomiting). Rita binges two to three times per week, and reports feeling “guilty” after each episode. Diagnostic Impression: Bulimia Nervosa Long-Term Goal: Reduce bingeing and compensatory behaviors by changing distorted attitudes about weight and any other thinking patterns. Short-Term Goal: Establish regular eating patterns by eating in regular intervals and consuming 2,000 calories per day. Intervention 1: Dr. Heston will educate Rita about the etiology of eating disorders. Intervention 2: Rita will read psychoeducational handouts and treatment manuals for homework. Intervention 3: Rita will monitor her food consumption using a nutritional journal. Intervention 4: Dr. Heston will teach Rita how to identify dysfunctional thinking and develop more healthy cognitions and coping skills. For additional information regarding Rita’s case history and the outcome of the treatment interventions, please see Dr. Heston’s session notes under Case 9 in Gorenstein and Comer’s (2015), Case Studies in Abnormal Psychology.