Evaluating Trends in Sport Psychology
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 2: Evaluate the implications of new research for professional practice in sport psychology.
- Competency 4: Communicate in a manner that is scholarly, professional, and consistent with expectations for members of the psychological professions.
For this assignment, explore one of the following current trends in the field of sport psychology:
- Eating disorders.
- Performance enhancement or peak performance.
- Resiliency training.
Based on what you have learned from your readings and videos, what are the most recent developments in your chosen trend? In order to identify where understanding currently lies in this field, take time to consider the historical antecedents.
- Select a current trend in the field of sport psychology.
- Analyze how this trend has developed historically. How has the historical development of this current trend impacted its current state?
- Examine how current trends are based on previous theory and build upon earlier research and theories in psychology. In your examination, explain how both previous and current academic research has shaped the current trend in this area.
- Evaluate paradigm shifts, successes, and failures in the sport-related field and how they have impacted current developments in the field. How will this inform future developments in this area?
- Analyze the influence advances in technology and science have had on current practices, and how they influence future of this trend. Also consider what areas future research still needs to address.
- You may want to consider advances in neuroscience when thinking about this part of the assignment, though other future research could be considered as well.
Throughout your paper, be sure you are supporting your analysis and evaluations with peer-reviewed literature. You must reference a minimum of five peer-reviewed articles from reputable journals. You may need to include book chapters in order to capture the historical aspects required.
- Written communication: Written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Resources and citations are formatted according to APA (6th edition) style and formatting.
- Length: 5 double-spaced, typed pages, in addition to a title page.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
Refer to the Evaluating Trends in Sport Psychology Scoring Guide to ensure that your work meets the grading criteria for this assignment.