According to the National Sleep Foundation, about 30–40% of the general population reports some level of insomnia during their lives, and 10–15% experience significant, chronic insomnia. For these individuals, medications to help induce and sustain sleep may be helpful. On the other hand, sleep aids pose potential concerns, namely abuse. Some people exceed recommended doses, and some continue taking medications even after symptoms are no longer present. Others obtain medications under false pretenses, which is one form of malingering. Malingering occurs when clients make up or exaggerate symptoms for some personal gain. One manifestation of malingering occurs when individuals attempt to have drugs of abuse prescribed or refilled to continue abusive use (Rogers, 2008). Although counselors may not be directly implicated in the client’s deceit, their unique position to receive more accurate and honest information than other medical professionals presents ethical concerns. What is the counselors’ role in these instances? In which instances would it be appropriate to break confidentiality due to a concern of malingering? How could the malingering potentiality be planned for and avoided?
For this Assignment, review all of the Learning Resources concerning malingering and addiction related to the treatment of sleep disorders. Consider the major drugs used to treat sleep disorders and the potential risk for addiction that the medicines pose. Examine the role of the counselor in preventing or dealing with these issues.
In a 4 page APA Paper
- A description of the major types of drugs prescribed for sleep disorders
- An explanation of the potential for addiction associated with these medicines
- An explanation of the issues related to malingering in the treatment of sleep disorders
- An explanation of the counselor’s role in mitigating the potentialities of malingering
- Support your response with at least one peer-reviewed article from the Walden Library that addresses a counseling issue related to malingering and addiction in treating sleep disorders
- Explain how you will incorporate the information found in the peer-reviewed article you selected.