Researchers have examined several ways in which individuals actively maintain their sense of self in what can collectively be termed “self-concept maintenance” (Crisp and Turner, 2010, p. 10). Theories pertinent to self-concept maintenance include the control theory of self-regulation, self-discrepancy theory, social comparison theory, self-evaluation maintenance, social identity theory, and self-categorization theory. These theories share the assumption that individuals learn about themselves and their environment through self-comparison. People need to compare themselves with others in order to both know and evaluate their self and understand that these comparisons have a significant impact on individual behavior.
For this Assignment, review this week’s media program, Week 2: The Virtual Office,and evaluate the behavior of the women in the animation to determine which women exhibit narcissistic personality style and which women exhibit positive self-esteem.
The Assignment (3–5 pages)
- Select and describe one of the women in the media program exhibiting either positive self-esteem or narcissism.
- Compare the similarities and the differences of three theories of self-concept maintenance.
- Explain how each theory explains the behavior of the woman in the media program.
- Explain any insights you had or conclusions you drew based on your comparison.
- Be specific and use the Learning Resources and the current literature to support your response.
Submit by Day 7.
Support your Assignment with specific references to all resources used in its preparation. You are to provide a reference list for all resources, including those in the Learning Resources for this course and the current literature.