Find an example of a persuasive argument (it might be found in a part of a speech, a scene in a movie, a news story, an opinion posted on an Internet blog, or a sports show). Be sure to select an argument that is appropriate for this assignment. Do not try to analyze the argument of an entire movie or book or play.
Include a text version of the argument at the end of the paper.
In a paper of 750 words, apply Aristotle’s ideas to the argument by doing the following:
- Point out language that is used to appeal to pathos (emotions).
- Point out language that is used to appeal to logos (reason).
- What language establishes the speaker’s credibility or ethos?
- What does the speaker say to demonstrate honesty?
- Why should you think of the speaker as an expert on the subject?
- What does the speaker say to show sincere care about the listener’s needs?
Conclude by evaluating the effectiveness of the argument.
- Did it work?
- Why was it good or bad?
- What were the strongest and weakest parts of the persuasion?